Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My bank cuts SF jobs

Here's a link to the Seattle Times article: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008417863_webwamu21.html

I believe it was my friend Rohan, an economics major at DePaul University in Chicago, who told me that you should always spread your money around. Don't keep all of your money in the same bank. Previously, I used Chase for my credit and Washington Mutual for my banking. Now, they're the same company: JP Morgan, Chase.

This is cause for concern for most people, if we give our money to the banks, and the banks run out of money to pay their employees, what is happening to my money?
This is also a pertinent local story because Washington Mutual has such a strong presence on the west coast. When I went to school in Chicago, it was much more difficult to find a branch to withdraw money (the one time I did, the ATM machine ate my card).

I suppose one could turn this into a personal interest story. Many different people are effected. Customers who use Washington Mutual as their primary bank. Stock-holders that have a share in WaMu. The employees.

Tough times, especially economically, mean there are a variety of profiles stories about people struggling to "make a living."

On the other hand, I suppose the people at JP Morgan, Chase are having a good time...

No comments: